This Monte Cristo sandwich (croque monsieur) is a classic French toast-style sandwich. The filling is a combination of sliced ham, turkey or chicken and cheese with mustard or mayonnaise.
You can use sliced, boiled or baked ham and turkey and grilled cheese in the sandwich. I like these sandwiches with Havarti cheese. You can make your monte cristo sandwich with jam.
Best bread for monte cristo sandwich is you love. I like sourdough bread or white bread. This sandwich like ham and cheese sandwich.
İngredients for Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 18 slice bread
- 6 slice ham
- 6 slice turkey or chicken
- 12 slice swiss cheese or a chees you love
- mustard or mayoneese (optional)
- 3 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
How to Make Monte Cristo Sandwich
1. Use 3 piece of bread for each sandwich. Cover one side of bread with butter, then a slice of ham and a slice of turkey or chicken.
2. Cover butter both sides of the second slice and cover some mustard or mayonnaise if desired. Place the bread on top slice on a turkey or ham slice and put 2 thin slices of cheese on it.
3. Cut each sandwich diagonally in half and fix it with a toothpick.
4 Lets ready to egg mixture in a medium bowl, beat the eggs with milk and salt.
5. Heat the pan or grill over medium heat. Add butter to cover the pan.
6. Carefully dip the sandwich halves in the egg batter.
7. Fry the sandwiches in the skillet over medium heat until golden brown, add more butter to the pan as needed. Remove the toothpicks before serving. or you can make deep fried.